PUR Perfect Bound Booklets / Magazine Binding
All of our perfect bound books are glued using super strong PUR adhesive. For more information on PUR adhesive please follow the link provided below:
PUR adhesive explained
To make it easier for you to create your artwork, we have included instructions, helpful information and diagrams on the page below. We recommend all customers read this page carefully before supplying artwork for perfect bound books. For those who are not experienced in preparing artwork for commercial printing, we recommend that you consult with a graphic designer.
To simplify these instructions, we have broken them into three sections:
Creating artwork for the Front and Back Cover
Creating artwork for the Inside Front and Back Cover
Creating Artwork for the Text Pages
Please note, all artwork should be supplied as press ready PDF files. As the requirements for the cover artwork are different to the requirements for the text pages, artwork should be supplied as two separate PDF's.
- Artwork for the front and back cover artwork must be supplied as a two page spread inclusive of both the front and back cover (see diagram below).
- The cover must contain 3mm of internal and external bleed.
- The cover artwork must also include the correct spine width. Spine widths differ depending on the stock type and number of pages in the book. Spine widths for all the page ranges and stock weights we offer can be found by clicking the links below:
Table of Spine Thickness for 100gsm laser bond
Table of Spine Thickness for 115gsm coated paper
Table of Spine Thickness for 150gsm coated paper
For example, a 48pp + cover booklet printed on 100gsm laser bond would contain a spine width of 2.77mm. Therefore, for an A4 booklet, the artwork size for the front and back cover would be 422.77 x 297mm + 3mm of external bleed on each edge.
- Due to a binding/folding variance of 1-2mm, we do not advise artwork be designed to line up flush on the spine. If artwork is supplied like this, any variance during the printing/binding process will be exaggerated. This can result in the spine showing on the front or back cover after binding.
Diagram: How to supply artwork for front and back cover including additional spine (click to enlarge):
Back To Top
- Artwork for the inside front and back cover artwork must be supplied as a two page spread inclusive of both the inside front and inside back covers (see diagram below).
- The inside front and back cover must contain 3mm of internal and external bleed.
- The inside front and back cover artwork must also include the correct spine width. The spine will be exactly the same width as for the front and back cover.
- Due to adhesion requirements, the spine on the inside front and back cover must be kept completely free of all artwork.
- Additionally (also as due to adhesion requirements), a 5mm strip to either side of the spine must also be kept completely free of all artwork (see diagram below).
Diagram: How to supply artwork for the inside front and back cover including spine and artwork free area (click to enlarge):
Back To Top
- Text pages for all artwork should be supplied as a 1-Up multiple page press ready PDF file.
- On the first page and last page, due to adhesion requirements, the first 5mm (a narrow strip) next to the spine must be kept free of all artwork (see diagrams below).
- All text pages must contain 3mm of internal and external bleed.
- Please ensure that the artwork is supplied at the correct page size.
For example, if you have ordered A4 magazines, please do not supply A5 size artwork.
- Please ensure that your artwork has the correct number of pages.
For example, if you order a 60pp book, your supplied artwork needs to have exactly 60 pages. If your design has less than 60 pages please add blank pages to make up the required amount.
- Due to the perfect binding method, we do not advise design elements (text, images, etc...) are placed across page spreads. If design elements are placed across page spreads, due to the perfect binding method and binding/folding variance of 1-2mm the they may not line up exactly in the finished book.
Diagrams: How to supply artwork for the first and last text pages (click to enlarge):
Back To Top
All of our perfect bound books are glued with PUR (polyurethane reactive) adhesive. PUR adhesive is much more durable than other glues (including EVA). PUR adhesive induces a chemical reaction which occurs during cure time. It is this elongated cure time which creates a distinct performance advantage (especially when used in conjunction with coated papers).
PUR adhesive is more durable and flexible than standard EVA glue and once the adhesive has set, it is almost impossible to tear a page out of a PUR-bound book. Books adhered with PUR adhesive are also considerably more flexible which allows them to lie much flatter without compromising the binding strength.
Back To Top